Our Anniversary
I didn't really have doubt that Mike and I would make it beyond the six months. I know that we can make it forever. I believe we're soul mates. He says he doesn't believe in them but said "If I believed in them, you and I would be the couple that I think most fits the description of soul mates". He believes that "...if two people want to be together then they will be". But I know better. We wanted to be together but I know that something bigger brought us together in the first place.
We spent the weekend in Chi-town. We stated at the Sheraton on North Water Street. It was very nice hotel. The rooms were modern so I loved it. We walked through the city the first day. Walking up and down Michigan Ave. We went to the Hancock buidling and ate at the Cheese Cake Factory. Don't ever order the Herb Crusted Salmon. It tasted like oil. The only shopping we did was in The North Face. We were headed to Tiffany's after dinner to pick up a necklace I have had my eye on for awhile. Tiffany's closed at 6 pm. On a Friday night. So, needless to say I didn't get my necklace. We went back to the hotel for the rest of the evening. We ordered Giordano's because I swear it is the best pizza I have ever had. Mike had to try it. The next morning we headed to The Field Museum to see the King Tut exhibit. We spent hours at the museum going through all of the exhibits.
The Auschwitz exhibit was heartwrenching to say the least. It was many pictures and information taken from the Auschwitz Album. Although my best friend is Jewish and I'm actually Hungarian, I've never been a history buff. I've always known of the Holocaust but it's always been the past to me. This exhibit made me feel more for the victims of the Holocaust than I have ever before. The pictures were horrible. Not only of men but women and many children as well. It felt as though someone had stabbed and was not only driving the knife further in but twisting as I walked on. Faces of people that knew they were soon going to meet their maker. And some of them were actually smiling. Mostly women. The young children having no idea that fate dealt them an incredibly grusome hand. Understandably it had me in tears and had me yearning to go home to Madison.
We didn't go home. We left the museum and headed back to the hotel through Grant Park. I've been to Chicago many, many times but never been to the infamous Grant Park. It wasn't that interesting. We almost made it to Buckinham Fountain when I asked a gentleman where I could get a pack of cigarettes. He decided that he would walk us to a store he said was just over the bridge. It was actually a mile or so from the park. He took us through an alley. The whole time telling us his life story. He was a very kind older man however, an alley!?! I was scared. We turned the corner and entered what was an upscale liquor store. The two gentleman working the counter decided to strike up a conversation about Notre Dame with my husband. I told the gentleman that had taken the time to walk us to the store we would buy him a pack for his assistance. He was very appreciative and took us to a taxi pick up. My inhibitions seemed to be unnessecary but I wasn't willing to stick around longer to be sure.
Later that night we had dinner at Shula's. It was in our hotel. It is suppose to be one of the top 5 steak houses in the country. My steak was amazing however I wasn't fond of the atmosphere. The menu's were written on footballs and all of the tv's were showing some kind of sports program. Prior to being seated the lady said to us "you have to be in more dressy attire to be seated in the dining room". I was ok with that until I glanced into the dining room later and saw a man wearing a t-shirt. The restaurant was stuffy. I don't do stuffy when I'm eating. We then went to Navy Pier. We did some shopping. We went to Build A Bear Workshop and made Madison her first Build A Bear. I can't wait until she can build it herself. We were going to take a ride on the Ferris Wheel but the line was ridiculous so we opted to walk back to the hotel room and watch the fireworks on the walkway over looking the river.
It was a wonderful weekend. Not a lot of romance but I'm sure it's hard to be romantic when you're wife is mentioning how much she misses her daughter every 15 minutes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home